- This is a medical emergency - urgent specialist referral is required (Otolaryngology, Intensive Care).
- Common: H. influenzae B, viruses, S. pneumoniae, S. aureus, Streptococcus A
- Duration: At least 7 days.
If meningitis is suspected use ceftriaxone and see Meningitis guidelines.
If there is any suspicion of involvement of other structures, follow the deep neck space infections guideline.
Mild penicillin allergy
- fe = 0.5, consider adjusting dose if CrCl reduced.
Severe penicillin allergy
- fe = 0.9, adjust dose if CrCl reduced.
- Must be given diluted (1 g in at least 200 mL) and slowly (≤ 1000 mg/hour) to minimise infusion reactions.
Prophylaxis of H. influenzae B (notifiable) - contact Public Health
Topic Code: 99223